RENEW Wisconsin’s EVs for Good initiative fosters the expansion of electric vehicles among mission-based nonprofits in Wisconsin. RENEW supports transitioning our state’s vehicles away from fossil fuels and onto clean, renewable electricity sources.
Thanks to a generous partnership with Carol and Andy Phelps, RENEW Wisconsin awards grants to nonprofit organizations interested in purchasing an electric vehicle. EVs for Good works to reduce the upfront costs of purchasing an electric vehicle, while reducing vehicle maintenance costs and transportation emissions. EVs for Good also offers small grants for organizations seeking to install electric vehicle charging equipment.
Organizations that receive an EVs for Good grant work with RENEW Wisconsin to promote their awards and educate their communities about the benefits of electric transportation.
EVs for Good applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis until all grant funds are reserved.
WHAT DOES EVS FOR GOOD OFFER?
GRANTS: EVs for Good offers the following awards:
- Vehicle Grant: Covers 20% of the cost of a new or used electric vehicle, with a $5,000 maximum amount. Grants may also cover 20% of an electric bicycle or an electric cargo bicycle purchase.
- Van or Bus Grant: Covers 20% of the cost of a new or used electric van or bus, with a maximum grant amount of $10,000. The vehicle must be able to safely transport eight or more persons.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Grant: $500 grant for nonprofits installing a Level 2 (or higher) electric vehicle charger.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR EVS FOR GOOD FUNDING?
In order to receive a grant award, the organization must be a registered nonprofit organization located in Wisconsin, be in good financial standing, and able to accept donations. Please note that this program is designed to fund mission-based organizations. In addition, organizations receiving a grant must agree to participate in educating community members about the benefits of electric vehicles. You can view a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) template that all nonprofits must sign HERE.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Before you apply for an EVs for Good grant, take some time to evaluate which electric vehicle would best suit your organization. If you plan on purchasing a used electric vehicle, have a backup plan in case that particular vehicle is no longer available to purchase.
- Apply for your grant. To review a PDF of the application questions, click HERE. NOTE: to complete your application, you must provide a copy of your proof of tax-exempt status. This can be either an IRS designation or current certificate from Wisconsin’s Department of Financial Institutions.
- RENEW Wisconsin evaluates each application on an individual basis. If your application is selected to receive an EVs for Good award, we will reserve your funding until you have demonstrated that your vehicle has been purchased. RENEW will hold grant reservations for no more than 12 months, so all other fundraising and purchasing of the vehicle must be completed within that timeframe.
- If your application is selected:
- Accept your award by signing our Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Your document will be customized, but you can view a sample MOU HERE.
- Execute your fundraising campaign. We require you to check in with us at 6 months and show that you are on track to meeting your fundraising goal. If you are not on track, we will work with you to find a solution or cancel your reservation.
- Complete the purchase of your electric vehicle within 12 months.
ARE THERE GEOGRAPHICAL RESTRICTIONS ON WHO CAN APPLY?
Any nonprofit organization located in Wisconsin and serving Wisconsin residents may apply.
CAN LOCAL GOVERNMENTS APPLY FOR AN EVs FOR GOOD GRANT?
No. EVs for Good grants are meant to serve mission-based nonprofit organizations.
ARE PLUG-IN HYBRIDS OR PEVs (PARTIAL ELECTRIC VEHICLES) AVAILABLE FOR FUNDING?
Yes. Organizations seeking to purchase a plug-in hybrid or a PEV (partial electric vehicle) are invited to apply.
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE CAN’T PURCHASE A VEHICLE WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF RECEIVING AN AWARD?
If you have legitimate circumstances beyond your control and can show progress and attempts to purchase an electric vehicle, we may be able to work with you to offer an extension.
CAN WE RECEIVE MULTIPLE AWARDS FROM EVs FOR GOOD?
Yes. The same organization can receive a Vehicle Grant and an Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Grant. Applications for multiple Vehicle Grants and/or Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Grants will be reviewed on an individual basis.