County Executive Joe Parisi has issued his 2023 budget, which once again prioritizes environmental action and includes initiatives to implement the County’s robust Climate Action Plan. RENEW is asking Dane County advocates to write a letter to Dane County Board Members to support the proposed budget.
A major portion of the budget includes work to achieve its goal of 100% renewable energy for County facilities by the end of 2023. These items will significantly contribute to the ongoing effort to reduce emissions, help the County achieve carbon neutrality in its facilities and fleet by 2030, and cut countywide emissions in half. Included in the proposed budget:
- $4.5 million for the development and installation of carbon capture technologies at the RNG facility at the landfill
- $3 million for feasibility work and acquisition of a site to develop a commercial-scale manure treatment facility to capture manure from up to 30,000 cows in the north Mendota watershed reducing methane emissions comparable to removing 20,000 cars.
- Almost $900,000 to start work on campus-wide geothermal systems for the East District Campus (Medical Examiner and Highway Garage) along with the Badger Prairie campus in Verona.
- Almost $100,000 in additional resources for the Office of Energy & Climate Change and our efforts to accelerate countywide climate action
- $2 million for ongoing “Suck the Muck” efforts to remove phosphorous from our waterways
- $3 million plus new staff positions to continue sediment dredging that improves water flow between our lakes, reducing flooding risks exacerbated by climate change
- $2 million for the Dane County Continuous Cover Program, which funds private landowner efforts to convert marginal cropland to perennial cover, reducing runoff and sequestering carbon
- $10 million for the Dane County Conservation Fund to continue County land acquisitions that help improve water quality and allow opportunities for prairie and wildlife restoration
- $3 million for additional regional bike trails
RENEW Wisconsin is asking Dane County advocates and allies to support Executive Parisi’s budget approval with the County Board. Here’s how you can help:
- Write a letter in support of Executive Parisi’s proposed budget. Your letter can focus on any of the above bullet points and how these initiatives would improve the overall health, economy, and well-being of Dane County. Ask the Board of Supervisors to approve Executive Parisi’s 2023 budget.
- You can find contact information for Dane County Supervisors HERE.
Thank you for weighing in on this important issue!